As you may already know, Proverbs 31 Woman is now opening a new section that will curate Recipes for Condos Moms. This is a project I’m so excited about as I just love the endless dinner possibilities that can be made out of tiny kitchens. So our kick off recipe is from Feed 5000 Kitchen Studio.
Chef Len Santos-Ding, the studio’s mom chef instructor, teaches moms healthy food recipes that incorporate real and whole food that’s not hard to prepare at all. Can you believe the universe? We met her at a time when Proverbs 31 Woman is brainstorming for the launch of our easy dinner recipes! And in this Jeunesse event last month, she shared gourmet-tasting, guilt-free, one-pan meals that were in all truthfulness, all superb yet quick and easy peasy.
If you’re wondering what you should cook for your husband and children today, try whipping Chef Len’s Golden Quinoa and Bokchoy Salad. If it’s the first time you encountered Quinoa (it’s KEEN-wah, not kwin-OH-ah), here are a few things about this ancient grain you might happen to not know yet. Cooking Quinoa is easy, and healthy too! It’s packed with dietary fibre, phosphorus, magnesium and iron, is gluten-free and easy to digest. Not only that, it’s delicious!
I give you my word on this, Chef Len’s recipe below is so simple yet absolutely a huge hit.
Golden Quinoa and Bokchoy Salad
By Chef Len Santos-Ding
- 1 1/2 tbsps Doña Elena Pure Olive Oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2-cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (170 g) uncooked quinoa
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup red and green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped flat parsley
- 2 bundles bokchoy, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp grated dried shiitake mushroom
- juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 Tbsp Dona Elena Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup mandarin oranges, drained
- Put quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Rinse under running water until water runs clear.
- Heat oil in a saucepot over medium heat. Saute garlic. Add mushrooms and cook for about a minute. Add quinoa. Add more oil if needed. Quinoa grains must be coated with oil so it will be fluffy when cooked. Let it simmer then cook for about 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, add the bell peppers, purple cabbage, flat parsley and bokchoy. Grate some dried shiitake on top for added umami. Cover so vegetables will soften in the steam as you make the dressing.
- To make the dressing, whisk together lemon juice, orange juice and olive oil. Or you may put the ingredients in a small bottle and shake well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the salad while still hot. Add mandarin oranges. It may be served hot, room temperature or cold.
♡ If you enjoyed this recipe, I’m sure you’ll love this too → One-Pot Cheesy Pesto and Vegetable Pasta